Got another Pontiac Solstice Projector Retrofit in this week.
With the colors being black and silver.....with Demon Eyes, I couldn't help but think of good ol' Arnold back in the day and his robotic counter-part. That, coupled with the fact of how well these demon eyes turned out (see photochopped pic below) I'm starting to think of calling them Terminator Eyes instead of Demon Eyes.....not sure yet, but with Options labeled Iron Man Halo and Terminator Eyes, who WOULDN'T want that in their custom made headlights?
What nerd could resist?
(Thinks to self: How can I implement Thor's Hammer into headlights?)
Back to the project......
This one involved an FX-R Projector - Version 3 with Morimoto 6000k D2S bulbs and Morimoto 35watt Long Cord Ballasts.
The Projectors were hidden behind a Gatling Gun Version 1 Shroud that also hid a Super Bright LED XB Halo.
Behind all of this are the Terminator Eyes, with a soft back glow onto the newly painted reflector, it gives it an Eye Vain look....pretty cool when it's pitch black.
Speaking of pitch black (no, not Vin Diesel) The rest of the headlight internals were painted gloss black. The Gatlin Shroud was painted GM Silver to match the car's color.
Troy came in with his 97 BMW 540i and some aftermarket DJ Auto headlights.
These have a better projector and CCFL Halo lighting than the stock headlights...even in this case where the car didn't come with HIDs....but he already had a set of cheap aftermarket headlights installed.
All I was simply doing was re-wiring everything and putting the new lights in.
Re-wiring things (solder, tape, zip ties) was easy and difinitely helped the clutted behind the lights.
The tricky part was that the new headlights have CCFL lights, which can sense and turn on with very low voltage; the old lights had halogen halo lights (which is why they were so dim). But Halogen will not turn on with such low voltage, so you couldn't tell that the computer in the BMW is constantly checking to see if the lights are still working. Once the CCFLs were installed, they flickered....randomly....like strobe lights. I rewired them differently 4-5 times until we settled on having them wired into the fog lights for now.
I say for now, as the passenger side headlight came with a bad CCFL halo...so we will be warranty swapping that for a new one. Then the company might have an answer for the CCFL issues. Oh well...I can already tell the output is much better with these lights.....kind of wierd going from an American Cutoff to a European cutoff.....muuuuuch different.
Owner sent me over some on-car pics of the headlights he purchased.......turned out great.
He's un-sure if he wants to re-install the red covers.....I'm 50/50 on that.....It think they look great as is.......thoughts????
Got them all sealed up, cleaned up, packaged up and ready to go.
Snapped these pics to finish off the build pics.
Next up? On-Car pics whenever the client gets them to me.
Got the CCFLs (two per shroud) attached to the shrouds
Projector has been hand-painted (couldn't masked off LED holes)
Mounted the Shrouds, soldered all the wires, tested all the lights.
Just waiting for the shrouds to cure and we'll be good to seal these badboys up.
This shroud/projector combo was the hardest I've had yet. Didn't help that I tried to stick 3 sets of CCFL's behind them. Unfortuneately, they don't make a size that would fit that last ring and even if they did, it wouldn't have fit on the FX-R projector. I had to doctor these shrouds up in order to get them to fit just by themselves.....then add a strip of LEDs for the Demon Eyes, and 2 CCFLs to the mix and it took some crafty shifting to get these on.
All-in-all, I'm pretty happy with the outcome.....it's hard to tell how these will pop because of all the black, but they will for sure finish off that Brazen solsti once they get put on...it's such a good color when you match it with black, that these headlights will look siiiick!
Finished these up for a customer in Brazil.
His overall goal was to get these to look one-off, and unique...as well as have them look like an 'eye' at night......I think we accomplished that.
I'll throw all these photos over to the new 2012 projects page!!