Started as a simple HID install; which in turn ended up being the most difficult simple HID install I've had to do yet. Since I had it, I also added red accent lighting just like his bus and I noticed he had a single 4" MTX speaker rolling around, barely attached to the speaker wire that was holding it in it's small area it was rolling around in. That's not how I roll....so he isn't either.
The HID install was one of my hardest for a few reasons:
Slammed car means no exterior wiring underneath, custom made car means carpet glued to the ground, older car means no open spaces hidden by panels......what you see is what you get. So I had to get creative in wiring up a new battery lead from the battery (under rear seat) to the front of the bug for the HIDs main power supply.
Once I got that figured out, my next challenge was to stuff all these electronics behind the factory headlight bucket (which is all metal). Easiest thing to do for future maintenance is to custom wire EVERYTHING so no components are inside the bucket.......they are inside the hood area. This presented another problem: wire access through two metal walls. Solution? Obviously jack up slammed bug and remove front wheels......duh.
Got everything wired up there so when you pull headlight bucket out, all you see is wires and no splices or ballasts or anything else.
Then I custom installed a switch off of ACC power for the red lighting I custom installed in his headlight buckets.
Next was on to the speakers.....I didn't have any better speakers in stock I could give him, so I used his MTX speakers.....wanted to do this on a crazy time limit, so I busted these out in about 3 hours (alot of waiting for stuff to dry). Made a quick mock up of usable space, stretched some fabric, glassed it, body worked it, painted it.....these 4" beasts sounded pretty damn good off of the Sony headunits power. Ryan was stoked, and so was I.
I think I earned the sticker placement on this one.